Thursday, November 20, 2008

JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK

This is very exciting for me. Honestly, I was never a fan of the original Star Trek. It wasn't until The Next Generation that Gene Roddenberry's creation became important to me. This trailer has me hooked: (RSS Feed readers will need to see this in their normal browser window.)



The cast is full of interesting choices.

Simon Pegg is Scotty. I wonder if he'll be toning down his comedic characteristics for this role. I really hope not. I don't remember if old Scotty was funny or not, but Simon Pegg seems to me like a step up.

Leonard Nimoy is being replaced by Zack Quinto, from Heroes. It seems nearly impossible to replace Nimoy. He was the shining light from the original series. Luckily, Leonard Nimoy will be making an appearance in this movie as old Spock at some point. I only know that because he is on IMDb's cast list. Hopefully Quinto can avoid acting anything like Sylar in this movie. If I see even a glimmer of Sylar's cipher-like character in Quinto's eyes, I will be upset.

Some of the casting is amusing to me. John Cho as Sulu and Anton Yelchin as Chekov seem to be a result of the casting director picking the top Asian and Russian young talent in Hollywood. (Which is probably what happened for the original casting of the series in the 1960s.) Luckily, Anton Yelchin is a fine young actor. I look forward to him more than the others.

I really don't know anything about Chris Pine (Kirk) or Karl Urban (McCoy) or Zoe Saldana (Uhura). I'm trusting that Abrams chose these people wisely. I'm sure that Kurtzman and Orci know what they are doing. They seem to know a thing or two about character development and story telling... but I wonder what they can do with Kirk's character. Shatner really did a number on James T. Kirk. I don't even know where the character ends and the actor begins anymore. So, can these writers be the defibrillator to this acute myocardial infarction? CLEAR! . . . CLEAR!

Kirk's character aside, I know I'll like this movie. The trailer made me smile widely as I rubbed my hand together in anticipation.

To infinity and beyond! Wait... no. I mean, to boldly go where no man has gone before!

5 comments:

Diane said...

When I saw that trailer last week I thought of you. I have personally never been a big Star Trek fan (it's not that I don't like it, I just have never been enthralled by it). Its influence has influenced our society in many interesting ways. This trailer made me want to see the movie.

MackAck said...

I felt obligated to do that trekkie thing with my fingers the whole time I was reading this post.

David said...

Star Trek is brilliant. The universe has been created in such detail and in such a way to provide for almost endless story lines. Go ahead and take it lightly, Mackenzie. I can take the punches.

Sally said...

Live long, and prosper, my friend! I was a closet Star Trek lover from the late 70s. (It was very uncool to like ST back then.) I finally came out of the closet when NG came along. I loved those too, but the original was my true love. All the complaints about it (bad sets, effects, even acting sometimes) just showcase the shining star of the show--the writing!

This show is proof that good writing overcomes all maladies. The converse is also true: no amount of money thrown at bad writing will make a good movie (good-bye King Kong, Jurassic Park, Incredible Hulk)!

David said...

when i see quinto, i only see sylar. he was in some other movie or tv show recently, and i was like what? he doesn't belong here. i hope he does good in the role. for his sake and his career's.